What do you get when you take the only Le Mans car of its kind in North America and Spyderize it? The Audi R8 LMS you see here. Our VP of Design and Merchandising, J.J. Collier, worked with its owner and driver, Alex Welch, to dial in its exterior design.
J.J. on the project:
“When I first saw the car it was raw carbon fiber. Some would argue it was perfect just like that. However, in the interest of protecting the surface and making the car more menacing and fast-at-a-glance, we wrapped it in Spyder DNA. The bold asymmetrical strokes and mixture of matte black, reflective red, and exposed carbon are all in keeping with Spyder’s seasonal design tenets for Fall 2012. It is simply the raddest canvas we could possibly have had to convey our core brand aesthetic.”
You know how much we love our Audis, and participating in this project was a dream come true.
AUDI R8 LMS SPECIFICATIONS:
OWNER: ALEX WELCH
DRIVER: ALEX WELCH
· Country of origin: Germany
· 1/1 in North America with 40 cars produced world wide
· 1st in class and 3rd overall in 2010 at 24 hours Nuremberg
· Successor: Audi R8 LMS Ultra
· Naturally Aspirated
· Mid, longitudinally mounted
· 5.204 liter / 317.6 cu in displacement
· Valvetrain: 4 valves
· Power 500 bhp++
· Torque: 500 Nm / 369 ft lbs
· Carbon fiber
· Exterior Graphic Design by: Spyder Active Sports (Boulder, CO)
Spyder’s VP of Sales and Global Marketing Russ Rowan and the R8 LMS together at ‘The Quail‘ (part of the Pebble Beach Concours) last week.
More photos after the jump…