Our first ski experience of the ‘Ring of Fire’ Volcano Tour couldn’t have gone better. Daron, Jess and I have been so excited to get this trip underway, and now that we have our first peak under our belts, we are thrilled.
After a three-hour drive from Reno with “Captain” Grant Burrow behind the wheel, we pulled into Lassen National Park and the “Devastated Area” parking lot at 5 pm yesterday evening. We spent the good part of two hours pulling all our gear and food out of the RV to sort and organize everything. With two weeks of food from Whole Foods Market, Bare Naked Granola, and Clif Bar on-board for 5-6 people/day, we had a lot to go through.
Although it probably wasn’t necessary to wake up so early for what would be a relatively short climb and ski, we were so anxious that we had the coffee on and were gearing up at 6:15 am this morning. The sunrise illuminated the grand northeast Face of Lassen, the unstable weather having pushed out the day before.
We were skinning through the forest at 7 am and by 8 am were above the treeline and climbing steadily. If any of you have been following Jess’ blog or her tweets (@jessmcmillan), you know that she has been training like crazy at home in Jackson, WY, and has climbed almost 75,000 vertical feet in the last three weeks. I was feeling good as well, having just come back from a wonderful trip to the Alaska Range, and Daron, well, he’s just about as strong as they come.
Volcano Tour Weather Forecast – Courtesy of OpenSnow.com
With the ‘Ring of Fire’ Volcano Tour upon us, we feel lucky to have the one and only Joel Gratz in our corner. Joel is well-known in the ski world for his ski-focused weather expertise. He’s the founder of OpenSnow.com, and he’s put together quite the forecast for the tour. His meteorological two-cents are below:
Although it’s snowing a bit now in northern California and Oregon and Washington, The Luck of the Davenport will once again compel the weather gods to put up clear skies for a big expedition!
Leftover snow showers will fall Thursday night and Friday over northern California, but when it’s time for your first peak on Saturday, the weather will be perfect. In fact, the weather looks generally dry from Saturday through at least the next week. I don’t want to speculate about details beyond a week, but even the longer-range forecasts look promising.
I attached a spreadsheet with links to weather forecasts for each Volcano for the entire trip. You can also access the spreadsheet via this link to a Google Document.
For each peak I provided a link to the point forecast for the summit (thanks to the National Weather Service). There are actually two links — one with the typical text forecast, and another one with a graphical view of more detailed data. Unless (until) the weather starts to not cooperate, these links will be all that you’ll need to determine temperatures and winds and the low/no threat of precipitation. On Saturday, it looks like temperatures at the summit will climb above freezing by 9am, with lower elevations obviously warming more quickly. Timing and finding the corn looks like the main challenge this week.
If you want forecasts for other areas surrounding the peaks, click on the link for the text forecast, locate the google map in the middle-right of the page, and click on another point on the map.
Feel free to get in touch with me if you have weather questions, and I’ll check in a bit later to make sure the longer range forecast bows to Dav’s incredible weather luck.
Be safe & have fun!
Thanks Joel! We’ll likely be calling on you more as the tour progresses. Weather will play a huge role in the tour, no doubt.